Sunday, August 4, 2013

Catch-Up Time: Alaska!

Wow - yes, it's really been over two months since this blog was updated!  

During that time, I had an amazing trip of a lifetime to Alaska in June with my daughter Amanda and three other wonderful women, to cheer Amanda on in the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage! 


She did it!  26.2 miles of Alaska beauty!
SO proud of my beautiful Baby Gazelle!

While Amanda raced in her first marathon, I power-walked the concurrent 4-Miler race and enjoyed some beautiful Anchorage scenery as well.


 
It was so much fun to be part of the race!
But the best part was being at the finish line to see
Amanda cross!


The day after the race, it was time for our vanful of five fabulous females to hit the road for some serious vacay!



Denali National Park.  It's hard to make out in this photo,
but Mt. McKinley is looming large in the background amongst the clouds!


Portage Glacier.

What a wonderful thing, to be in the midst of such awe-inspiring Alaskan grandeur, surrounded by a circle of loving, supportive women.  I've said it before:  there's an incredible power in a circle of women, a dynamism that  strengthens, encourages, emboldens, and inspires.

Alaska itself exudes an undefinable force, too.  If you've read some of my older blog posts, you know I'm a desert gal:  give me those magnificent wide open spaces, immense sky, and wild beauty and I'm a happy camper.  I've never felt that affinity anywhere except while in the desert.

Until Alaska.

Walking along the Savage River trail in Denali National Park, I was struck by that same connection to place:  the huge open spaces were there, that enormous sky was above, and the desolate, primal beauty was comforting and familiar, even though I'd never been to that part of Alaska before.

In that moment, in the company of four strong women, it was easy to allow myself to absorb the energy and strength that they and Alaska were gifting me with.

Turns out I'd need it in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment