Monday, August 19, 2013

August 19, 2013 - Team Luv, Part II

Earlier last week, I received an amazing request from Coach Sam, one of the fabulous coaches for San Diego Team In Training (TNT):  would I consider being the Honored Teammate for the upcoming 'Bad Tink winter season?  " 'Bad Tink" refers to two of the events the team will be training for:  The Carlsbad Half Marathon and the Tinkerbell Half Marathon, both to be held on January 19, 2014.  Training begins August 24.



Coach Sam is a powerhouse athlete tucked into a tiny package.  She was one of the coaches when I did TNT last year for the Carlsbad Half Marathon, and was a constant source of support and smiles.  On race day, she and Coach James ran the course back and forth, catching up to purple-clad TNT teammates and running with us for a while, encouraging and cheering us on.  They must've run 100 miles during that half marathon!

So when she asked if I would think about being the Honored Teammate this season, it took all of two seconds for me to say "Of course!"

An Honored Teammate is someone who is battling or has won their fight with a blood cancer.  They come to Saturday sessions to tell their stories and cheer on the athletes. 

For me, however, it's a chance to express to these runners and walkers how grateful I am for the fundraising they do for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and to show them in person what their fundraising dollars do:  as a Rituxan recipient, their hard work - both putting in miles and raising dollars - is directly affecting me.  Right now.  Right here.  Right in front of them.

I'm incredibly proud to be able to help TNT and LLS - I am your humble and grateful servant, use me any way you can!








No comments:

Post a Comment