Sunday, April 29, 2012

April 27, 2012

First appointment with Dr. Glenn, Hematological Oncologist.  Diagnosis: Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, B-Cell, Indolent.  They key word is indolent:  low grade, slow-growing.  THANK BUDDHA!
I'm INDOLENT, not aggressive!
Next steps:

  • Lab work
  • PET scan (to be scheduled)
  • CT scan (to be scheduled)
  • Chest x-ray (to be scheduled)
  • Bone marrow biopsy (May 30, 2012) 

All of the above will enable Dr. Glenn to stage the lymphoma (I, II, III, or IV), which will then determine a treatment strategy.  Depending on where all this shit is in my body, treatment can vary from “watch and wait” to chemo, radiation, immunotherapy, and/or surgery.  If it’s confined to the lymphatic system and not spread to blood, marrow, or organs and I’m not experiencing any side effects from the cancer (which I’m currently not), “watch and wait” is the approach.  Once it evolves into a treatable stage, other treatment options are pursued. 


So…..right now I’m waiting.  Waiting, but certainly NOT putting my life on hold.  There’s still my job to go to, lawns to be mowed, dog poop to pick up, hiking boots to lace up and a desert to explore.  Life goes on, you know?  I’ll go through this like I’ve always done, one step at a time, and get to the other side.

Of course, no self-respecting Lympho Pixie would venture out to her first Oncology appointment without the company of her entourage:


Amanda and Lauren, with matching photos of Jake on their phones.
They are SO in love with our dog!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment